Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Community Service: Fold for Peace - World Peace Day Program

Program Name: Fold for Peace
Duration: 1 hour

I held this program a few days prior to the International Day of Peace which always falls on September 21st. Similar to Cara's earlier post, I discussed Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. Following this brief history, I walked the teens through making origami cranes. They had an hour to make as many as possible. This task proved to be challenging for quite a few of the teens.. and there was only me to help them! In hindsight, I would have had a smaller group (maybe 15 teens as opposed to the 21 that I had) and extra helpers if staffing allowed for it.

When the program was complete, I told the teens to visit the library on 9/21/12 to see the peace sign display of the cranes that they folded. It was a well-worth-it arduous process! Maybe next time, I'll have the teens actually help with the display aspect as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment