Friday, August 18, 2017

Derek and Darla's Summer Road Trip Part 3: Port Jeff and More!

We're on the road again with another road trip blog!

This time, you'll be reading all about our afternoon out and about the Port Jefferson area, when we visited Comsewogue, Port Jefferson and Emma S. Clark libraries.

Our first stop was Comsewogue, which was packed with furry friends for us to meet - Sweet Briar Nature Preserve was presenting a children's program, and there were two new guinea pig friends!
we couldn't stay to watch what they had,
but were hoping for sloths
one of two fearsome guardpigs (#2 was feeling two shy for the paparazzi)
 Comsewogue loves a theme, and they didn't disappoint!
Derek, I'm sorry I keep making you do these
(but I'm not gonna stop)

me too!


four day passes?! *drools*
Next we hopped over to Port Jefferson Free Library, where the delightful decorations took us on a trip through time! They went rogue on their summer reading theme this year with "Retro Reads," themed all around retro goodness. Check out the fabulous decorations!
giant Rubik's Cubes set the tone as you approach the children's area

rainbows above and below are part of a giant game of Candyland


building sneaks in at the Lego-themed reporting area

clever Tetris-style tetromino name cards for the windows
We scurried through a sudden shower across the street to visit the Teen Center, which I had never ben to before. It was full of books, comics, video games and board games and decorated with 90's cartoon characters (who told them I was visiting?!), so I was basically ready to settle down and live there for a while.

ALL THE GAMES

I declare it too soon for these cartoons to achieve "classic" status

mmmm video games

Port Jeff's take on the Summer Reading think outside the books trend is a Bucket List Challenge (great name!):
I was going to name my fave challenge, but I can't pick!!

Port Jeff, we'd love a picture of someone achieving the "Wear 20 Shirts" challenge!

Our final stop of the afternoon was Emma S. Clark, which neither Derek nor I had been to before. This means I went a bit crazy with the picture taking, so hold on to your hats!

Emma S. Clark is one of those fantastic buildings that's half modern, half historic. I think I'll live in this room:

leaded windows, books and a fireplace are all I need in life

Over in the cheerful children's room, the decorations were ON POINT! This is the second year that Emma has used the green screen as part of their Summer Reading decorating (it's funny because it sounds like I'm talking about a person). The results are adorable. Check it out:


some kiddos were turned into construction workers


while others dressed up as their dream jobs that will help build a better world!
that's right, she's the president AND a judge. get it girl!

children are the actual best <3

And lest you think the librarians don't get in on the fun, check THIS out:

TOO GOOD!
We also spent a lot of time pouring over this display:


Kids put up gear post-it notes with how they're making a difference in their community. The answers are predictably precious, from the pragmatic:

fantastic!

excellent, if highly specific
To the lightly authoritarian:


STOP SCREAMING TATE
childlike optimism at its finest

To the inscrutable:

...
actually, I'd take a pink house


down with the ogyovig!!


 Not to be outdone, the Teen department has its own opinion-based display full of delights, tied into the teen summer reading club.


Nanette Feder reached out to Six Word Memoirs for permission to use a version of their logo - fantastic! Derek and I loved the reviews. Some of them were really clever, and some were hilarious. 

I smell a future writer

AGREED

whoops!

A big thanks to all, as always, for showing us around and spending some time with us! Stay tuned for more road trip goodness to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment